For 10,000 years, humans have eaten bread. So why is it now that so many people are sensitive to gluten?
I have a few hunches and it has to do with modern wheat and industrialized production. Plus I share a few tangible tips on how to approach gluten moving forward WITHOUT complete restriction.
What’s in this episode?
- History of bread
- Ancient wheat vs modern wheat (in the 1960s, wheat was genetically modified to be higher in gluten and more weather-resistant)
- Bread production is vastly different in modern day (in the early 1900s, with the advent of fast-acting yeast, we have taken a shortcut and left out the long fermentation process)
- History of Celiac disease
- How to approach bread if you think you’re sensitive (give your gut time to heal, try ancient grains, have traditionally fermented bread)
- Gut test to see if you’re sensitive to wheat – Wheat Zoomer
A few resources you might like if you enjoyed this episode:
- Netflix show Cooked – Air by Michael Pollan
- Is Bread Making You Sick? The Modernization of Wheat https://www.berlinnaturalbakery.com/blogs/bnb/76092164-is-bread-making-you-sick-the-modernization-of-wheat
- A history of coeliac disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18431060/
LINKS AND RESOURCES
- Take the Quiz – Is Intuitive Eating Right for YOU? (after years of dieting and bingeing)
- Request an Appointment – 1:1 private coaching with Elise
- Let’s be friends on IG! @craving.food.freedom.com
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
If you liked this episode, please take a moment to SUBSCRIBE, RATE & REVIEW, would love to hear from you! You’ll be helping me reach more people just like you.