If you’re a therapist and have clients that have a stressful relationship with food (overeating, binge behavior, disordered eating patterns), ever wonder WHAT’S HAPPENING? This episode covers why they may be feeling this way and what an intuitive eating dietitian does to support them.
And if you have a therapist right now who doesn’t quite understand how you’re feeling or your interest in intuitive eating work, this is the episode to send them.
In this episode I talk about:
- why there may be a fixation on the body
- the role of emotions, connection, belonging, trauma, control
- what overeating/binges feel like
- guilt vs binge eating
- overeating/binge as a compensatory mechanism
- food/sugar addiction, is it real?
- the effects of food restriction/dieting in childhood and adulthood
- why clients seek out intuitive eating
- what an intuitive eating dietitian does in sessions (neutralize food, exposure therapy, body image, values based approach, interoceptive signals, hunger/fullness, how to address emotional needs without food)
- the journey towards becoming a normal eater again
- opportunities for therapists and dietitians to collab i.e. trauma-informed care, shifting limiting beliefs
The end goal is not weight loss or weight gain, the goal has nothing to do with weight and everything to do with our client’s relationship with food, body, and themselves. Cultivating acceptance where needed and thinking in shades of gray – about food, body, judgments of others, society…
LINKS AND RESOURCES
- Take the Quiz – Is Intuitive Eating Right for YOU? (after years of dieting and bingeing)
- Request an Appointment – 1:1 private coaching with Elise
- Let’s be friends on IG! @craving.food.freedom.com
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
If you liked this episode, please take a moment to SUBSCRIBE, RATE & REVIEW, would love to hear from you! You’ll be helping me reach more people just like you.